Re: comint-accumulate-marker

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: comint-accumulate-marker
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:21:15 -0700 (PDT)

> I will install it shortly, but wanted to run one more variant of the
> patch by everyone first.  This version is permanently enabled.  It
> also saves input even when you use M-r/M-s, and it binds "C-c C-g" to
> a new function `comint-restore-input',  so no matter where you are on
> the history ring, you can zap back to your stranded partial input
> with C-c C-g.  Let me know if that's a good binding (and where it
> should be documented).

This might make this into a "don't install now" new feature, but would it
be preferable to treat all lines of the history like the current input?
Readline does this, I believe, at least until you finally submit a line
(at which point any changes to other lines might be forgotten -- I forget
on this part).  In other words, typing

foo<RET>
bar<RET>
<UP><UP><C-a>re<UP><C-e>d<DOWN><RET>

sends `rebar' as a command, and (possibly) replaces `foo' with `food' in
the history.  This is of course technically orthogonal to the current
question, since it's about preserving editing done to history elements
rather than to the current input (which is not a history element), but
it's much the same to the user.

Davis

shipping.