Re: comint-accumulate-marker

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: comint-accumulate-marker
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:47:29 +1200

 > >       In a terminal
 > >     shell, using up arrow to recall history doesn't clobber the partially
 > >     complete command you are composin.  If you go back down, it is still
 > >     there (even if it's blank).  Not so in comint modes.  Going down with
 > >     M-p only wraps you around the input ring.
 > >
 > > This would clearly be an improvement.  Can you implement it?
 >
 > Here is a patch which implements this behavior.  I've added a custom
 > variable controlling whether it is on or off, and have left it off by
 > default for now.  If people like it and think it would be
 > generically useful, I can enable it by default.
 >
 > JD

This patch works for me.

 > + (defcustom comint-save-partial-input nil
 > +   "*If non-nil, save partial input at the prompt when cycling through
 > history.
 > + The saved input is recovered when moving off of the end of input
 > + history in either direction. If no input, restores blank line."
 > +   :type 'boolean
 > +   :group 'comint)

How about (current input is a term already used in comint.el):

(defcustom comint-keep-current-input t
  "If non-nil, don't clobber the current input when cycling through history."

(Since it's an improvement why not make it the default?  Most people won't
even know/need to know it's an option).