Re: CVS issues

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CVS issues
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:58:48 -0400

>> With a recent build of CVS Emacs, I've experienced problems relating to
>> the "cvs" command in VC mode.  E.g. C-x v l often results in:
> I should mention the same happens with C-x v = (cvs diff), which
> results in "No differences" and "Process cvs killed" more commonly.

We've seen some reports of such a problem and I've experienced it as well.
I can't reproduce it, but I have the impression that it's timing related.
In my case, the *vc-diff* buffer is shown in a separate frame, and if that
frame is visible when I hit C-x v = the command normally suceeds, whereas if
the frame needs to be deiconified (or worse, created) as part of the C-x v =
command, then the risk seems to be higher that I get "No differences".
I've never experienced the "Proces killed" problem, OTOH.

My impression until now was that if some X window event comes in just at the
wrong time, Emacs would notice that the cvs (or tla in my case) process
exited without reading all the pending output from that process.
Whether that's really what's happening or not, I don't know.

This was all on GNU/Linux systems.

        Stefan