Re: Problem report #8

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Problem report #8
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:47:46 -0700

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

  > In article <address@hidden>, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  >
  > > I signed up to see the Coverity problem reports.
  > > RMS asked me to post a few here.
  > > There are 76 problems, I analyzed 10 of them, none of them were bugs
  > > in emacs.
  >
  > > Hopefully more people can help with this.
  >
  > > If you analyze the problem, please add to the subject the resolution
  > > which can be one of the following:

  > > BUG
  > > FALSE
  > > RESOLVED
  > > IGNORE
  > > PENDING
  >
  > Could you please explain which of the above to select in
  > which situation.  For instance, I think FALSE and RESOLVED
  > are:
  >
  > FALSE -- the report was false alarm.
  > RESOLVED -- the report correctly found a bug and it is fixed.
  >
  > But, I'm not sure about the others.

I am not so sure either, there's no documentation for them, but here's
what I assume.

  > > UNINSPECTED
Nobody looked at this.

  > > BUG
This is a problem, and it has not been fixed yet.

  > > IGNORE
Not worth looking at.

  > > PENDING

Here's what this seems to be used for:
(from the page at http://scan.coverity.com/)

 The fixed defects column is calculated by adding defects marked by
 developers as RESOLVED with defects marked as BUG or PENDING which
 are not present in the most recent analysis run. As such, this figure
 may under report fixes (for instance, when defects are fixed but not
 annotated as a defect by developers within the Coverity GUI), or over
 report fixes (for instance, when defects are annotated by developers
 in the Coverity GUI in regions of the source code which are
 subsequently removed from the project's code base).