Re: vc-annotate error, PATCH

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: vc-annotate error, PATCH
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:17:00 -0700

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:09:45 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I have a patch now that just sorts the non-white and non-black
>     colors in a TTY to put red first, blue last, and whatever in
>     between, and make that the colormap.  I could enable this if on a
>     TTY and display-color-cells<=8.  It would not be the same "color
>     theme" but it would have much better dynamic range and color usage
>     for 8 color TTYs. Further thoughts welcome.
>
> Sounds like the right thing.

I've updated CVS with this patch (and the other bug fixes mentioned). I
ended up going with the order red,yellow,cyan,green,magenta,blue from
newest to oldest, since that at least crudely approximates the color
direction for the proper hue wheel map (magenta aside).  I use this
special map only for 8 color TTY devices.  I went to some trouble to allow
for default colors which don't have these standard names, since I wasn't
sure if they were the same across all terminals.

Dan Nicolaescu gave me the hint to try:

 set TERM=xterm-256color

in recent xterms.  Emacs in terminal mode there looks fantastic, and the
new rotating hue colormap does very well.  Here's hoping all terminals
quickly migrate to 256 colors.