Re: Error in bootstrap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Error in bootstrap
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:53:56 +0300

> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:15:06 +0200
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
>
> I'm the only one seeing this crash in bootstrap?
>
>   Wrote C:/bin/emacs/HEAD/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.elc
>
>   In toplevel form:
>   C:/bin/emacs/HEAD/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el:156:1:Error: Symbol's
> value as variable is void: me\.
>
>   In toplevel form:
>   C:/bin/emacs/HEAD/lisp/subr.el:35:45:Error: Symbol's value as
> variable is void: me\.

I found the probable reason: it's this change:

    2006-04-12  Kenichi Handa  <address@hidden>

            * coding.c (setup_coding_system): Use system_eol_type for default
            coding->eol_type.

For now, undo this change, and the bootstrap will succeed.

Handa-san, could you please look into why this change breaks the
Windows port?  I suspect that it somehow causes the .elc files to be
written with EOL conversions \n -> \r\n, which corrupts the compiled
files.  But I don't see why: bytecomp.el binds coding-system-for-write
to no-conversion, so it ought to work.  Is it possible that your
change affects no-conversion?