Re: Fix vc-svn.el 1.27 when using with GNU Emacs 21.4

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: Fix vc-svn.el 1.27 when using with GNU Emacs 21.4
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:49:26 +0200

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 15:09 +0200, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> Please apply the attached patch. Its function is obvious. As
> vc-do-command only returns 'nil' or 'error', the status is never 0. As a
> result, vc-svn.el has been broken for a while when using with emacs
> 21.4.

No, vc-do-command is supposed to return the execution status, and does
indeed do it, even in Emacs 21.4.  I think you may be having another
problem, and because vc-svn.el 1.27 ignores all errors in the call to
vc-svn-command, you may not be able to see what's actually happening.

In vc-svn-registered, where it says:

      (let ((status
             (condition-case nil
                 ;; Ignore all errors.
                 (vc-svn-command t t file "status" "-v")
               ;; Some problem happened.  E.g. We can't find an `svn'
               ;; executable.  We used to only catch `file-error' but when
               ;; the process is run on a remote host via Tramp, the error
               ;; is only reported via the exit status which is turned into
               ;; an `error' by vc-do-command.
               (error nil))))
        (when (eq 0 status)
          (vc-svn-parse-status t)
          (eq 'SVN (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-backend)))))))

try replacing (error nil) with (file-error nil) and see what kind of
error message you get.