Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:13:27 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
    > I don't think I said anything about drag-mouse-1 on toolbars.  Now
    > that you raise the question, I don't see how drag events can make
    > sense on a tool bar icon.  You can't move these icons.

And you are against doing the little amount of work to provide the hooks that would allow such functionality to get added?

What is the user-level functionality that you are asking for?
I don't see what user-level functionality there would be
for drag events on tool bar icons.

All the previously stated features that other applications have, and any others that make sense; including, but not limited to:

* The ability to move the toolbar buttons around by clicking and dragging (perhaps when in a special mode, perhaps always). * The ability to right click on a toolbar button and bring up a context menu. * The ability to middle click on a toolbar button to perform a modified action (say, find-file-other-window instead of find-file). * The ability to click-and-hold on a toolbar button to bring up an extended menu.

  -- MJF