RE: Getting help for a widget

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Getting help for a widget
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:19:02 -0700

    As a little starter the two functions below can be used. The first one
    is new. Pub point over a widget or button and do M-x describe-field
    This will open the widget browser.

That's an interesting beginning of a widget browser. What I was thinking of
was a way to get to the appropriate part of the widget (or customize) Lisp
code that carries out the action when you click a widget button.

IOW, with a menu item, mouse click or keyboard sequence, I can use `C-h k'
and then click on the *Help* buffer command-name link to get to the
command's source code. I'd like to be able to do that with a widget button
also.

Another problem is of course that even if you arrive at the code that
carries out the button action it is difficult to understand what's going on.
Things are much simpler in widgetless code: get to a command definition;
read its code; read the code of the functions it calls - clear as a bell
usually.