Re: cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:55:28 +0100

>     If I start emacs
>     with -q, require tramp, and then use vc-diff, I don't see the error,
>     however; so it's not quite that simple. tramp.elc does at least
>     contain "cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro".
>
> That sounds like a bug in tramp--or in CL.  Can you see what generates
> the call to it?  I think cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro is supposed
> to be called during byte compilation.  I don't think a call to it
> should be in tramp.elc.

If cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro shouldn't be in tramp.elc, it
probably shouldn't be in any other *.elc files either.

However, grepping for cl-byte-compile-compiler-macro in all *.elc
files yields this result:

Binary file ./gnus/nnmaildir.elc matches
Binary file ./erc/erc-backend.elc matches
Binary file ./erc/erc.elc matches
Binary file ./emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc matches
Binary file ./emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc matches
Binary file ./emacs-lisp/ewoc.elc matches
Binary file ./net/tramp.elc matches
Binary file ./progmodes/ebrowse.elc matches
Binary file ./progmodes/flymake.elc matches
Binary file ./textmodes/sgml-mode.elc matches
Binary file ./textmodes/tex-mode.elc matches
Binary file ./cvs-status.elc matches
Binary file ./pcvs-info.elc matches
Binary file ./pcvs-util.elc matches
Binary file ./uniquify.elc matches

Except for bytecomp.elc and cl-macs.elc, this looks suspicious.