Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:19:59 +0100

A bracket expression always starts with an unquoted `['.  When looking at
a `]' you will never know whether it is part of a bracket expression
(independent of whether it is preceded by `\') without first determining
which syntax is currently active (inside or outside of a bracket
expression).

Agreed.  When looking at a single isolated character I can never tell
whether it's inside a bracket expression or not.  However, I'd like to
determine whether it is before having to read an entire regexp from
beginning to end.  For that I want all the syntactic help I can get.