Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:31:07 +0900

On 2/23/06, Johan Bockgård <address@hidden> wrote:
> > (BTW, everyone should have a key bound in the minibuffer to a
> > command that erases the minibuffer. I use `M-S-backspace'.)
>
> [etc/NEWS]
>
>     ** New command `kill-whole-line' kills an entire line at once. By
>     default, it is bound to C-S-<backspace>.

BTW, this is a potentially dangerous binding, as I learned to my dismay:

Because there are many common C-M- ... bindings in Emacs and my
fingers are very used to hitting C-M- (whereas C-S- bindings are very
rare), when I decided to try this new binding, I reflexively hit
C-M-bs by mistake ... and C-M-bs is a special key-sequence that _kills
the X server_!  Ouch!!

I suspect more than a few people will do the same thing...

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.