Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:12:10 +0200

On 2006-02-20 23:38, "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden> wrote:
>"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>>     I understand that, but I don't see why we need two different ways to
>>     modify them -- you can redefine the standard bitmap directly, so I
>>     don't see why do we need an extra level of indirection here (which has
>>     to be done at the C level to an already quite complex piece of code).
>>
>>     Currently, what we have are standard bitmaps for "bob-left",
>>     "bob-right", "eob-left", "eob-right" etc...
>>
>>     But, rather than following the existing pattern of naming them after
>>     their purpose (like "continuation-line", "left-truncation" etc), I
>>     have named them after their visual appearence, e.g. "top-left-angle",
>>     "top-right-angle", "bottom-left-angle", etc...
>>
>>     That is a bug IMO, so I agree with Miles that those names should be
>>     changed to match their purpose rather their appearence.
>>
>> I would not say we "need" the extra level--that word is too
>> strong--but I think it would be cleaner.
>>
>> It would be cleaner to name each bitmap after what it looks like, such
>> as top-left-angle, then specify by name one of these bitmaps to use
>> for a given purpose, such as beginning-of-buffer.
>>
>> It's like defining a function with your own choice of name and then
>> putting that name in a hook or variable with a standard fixed name,
>> instead of redefining a function with a fixed name.
>
> I have finally found some time to work on this item in FOR-RELEASE.
>
> I have installed some changes to implement it, along with changes to
> the lispref and NEWS.  New buffer-local variables are
> fringe-indicator-alist and fringe-cursor-alist.
>
> Note that fringe.el is now pre-loaded, so I might have broken
> something related to the way fringe-mode is handled, or the
> involved code can be simplified.

Revision 1.26 of fringe.el in CVS doesn't complete a bootstrap here:

    Compiling /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs/lisp/./rfn-eshadow.el
    Wrote /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs/lisp/rfn-eshadow.elc
    Compiling /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs/lisp/./rot13.el
    Wrote /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs/lisp/rot13.elc
    Compiling /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs/lisp/./ruler-mode.el

    In toplevel form:
    ruler-mode.el:115:1:Error: Symbol's value as variable is void:
fringe-bitmaps
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs/lisp.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /home/keramida/svn/emacs/trunk/emacs.

It looks like ruler-mode.el needs to change a bit after fringe.el,1.26