Re: moving point and invisible text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: moving point and invisible text
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:07:52 -0500

> It looks like the your code to move point out of invisible text is not
> behaving consistently.  The previous invisible/intangible code, which
> your code replaced, worked consistently.

AFAIK my code did not replace it.  Both codes are still with us.

> Here is what martin rudalics <address@hidden> said:

>     Stefan then told me that

>        The behavior depends on many things: whether the invisible text is
>        replaced by ellipsis, whether the invisible property is
>        front-sticky and/or rear-sticky, whether the command made changes
>        to the buffer, ...

>> Further experimentation shows that this case works the way the
>> manual previously said: it allows position 5 but does not allow
>> position 17.

>     Not really: It rarely ever moves "point forward past the first visible
>     character that follows the invisible text", that is, position 18.  (It
>     does so only with `line-move-ignore-invisible' nil.)

> It needs to consistently allow one of the two possible point positions
> next to invisible text--either just before it, or just after it--and
> not allow the other.

> Would you please work on fixing this?

This keep coming up and the answer is still the same: no, I won't work on
it, because I'm deeply convinced it cannot be done without introducing
worse problems.  Such consistency is actually pretty low in the list
of priorities.  Much more important is e.g. to ensure that repeated movement
commands do not get stuck.

I have neither time nor inclination to get into more details again.
Check past discussions about it,

        Stefan