Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: make bootstrap: need moral support. :-(
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:27:26 +0200

On 2006-02-19 15:07, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, Emacs!
>
> I've got CC Mode 5.31.3 ready for merging into the Emacs CVS.  First, I
> should be testing it on an up to date Emacs 22.
>
> So, I cvs updated my copy of CVS Emacs this morning.  I followed this
> with a ./configure and a make bootstrap.  It failed in process.c with a
> "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type" error, whatever that is.

Strange.  I just rebuilt an Emacs snapshot on FreeBSD/amd64, but I don't
see incomplete type dereferencing errors.

How are you checking out your copy?

Does the environment contain any special CFLAGS when you run ./configure?

> I also cvs updated back on 28th November.  My make failed then too, and I
> never got round to fixing it.

This indicates a local environment problem, IMHO.  Can you send the
output of:

    $ env | sort

right before you run `./configure'?

> I originally cvs checkedout my CVS Emacs on 9th September last year.  It
> built then, though not without effort.  So all my testing on CVS Emacs is
> on the version from September last year.
>
> I've got gcc 2.95.3 and make 3.79.1.  Surely they should build Emacs OK?
> Surely?

Hmmm, not sure.  I'm using gcc-3.4.4 here; the one that comes with
FreeBSD-CURRENT as the base-system compiler & toolchain.

> Right now, I've got that "Oh my goodness, do I have to go through all
> _this_ yet again?" feeling about this.  That I've got several hours or
> even days of drudgery, just to get Emacs to build - That I'll track down
> the first error, fix it (with perhaps some little tweak in my ./configure
> options, or #undefining some option, or), then stumble across the next
> glitsch, ....., and a week later, perhaps, I'll have an up to date
> working CVS Emacs.
>
> Surely, things shouldn't be like this.  Are things really like this, or
> am I just being unlucky at the moment?

No, things are pretty stable here.  I've been building Emacs CVS
snapshot since last October on FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT.  The only problem
that I have to track down is why enabling HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN in
src/config.h crashes at bootstrap time.

Without HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN, current Emacs builds are stable enough for
months in a row now.

> Do other people have this ghastly experience too, or do most of you
> hit the <CR> on "make bootstrap" or the like with the expectation that
> it's "probably going to build OK, no sweat"?  Or do I need some magic
> parameters to my ./configure?
>
> Would somebody cheer me up, please.

It's probably a local environment option that's causing all this.  We'll
find out what it is and fix it -- don't worry :)

- Giorgos