Re: tumme testing

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tumme testing
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:18:37 +0000 (UTC)

    >     `C-t f' (tumme-mark-tagged-files)
    >     whose documentation says:
    >
    >         Use regexp to mark files with matching tag.
    >
    >     failed to mark any files.

    Clearly that function needs better documentation ... you have
    misunderstood its purpose completely ...

That is certainly the case!

    The purpose is to use tumme's "database" file and mark image files
    that have a matching "tag" in the database file.

I didn't even know about a database file.  That should be mentioned in
the functions document string so describe-function displays it.  (I
had not read the documentation in the Emacs manual.)

    Did you not ask yourself why tumme would try to provide the exact
    same thing [as dired]? :)

Dired provides two different flags, one for deletion, a `D', and the
other for marking, a `*'.  I thought that tumme offered yet another
flag.

Also, I figured that instead of the keybinding being `% t' or
something like that, it was `C-t f' because no one had thought of a
`%' keybinding.

Minor error in Info:

    (emacs)Tumme

    For easy
    browing, type `SPC' (`tumme-display-next-thumbnail-original') to
    advance and display the next image.  Typing `SPC'
    (`tumme-display-previous-thumbnail-original') backs up to the previous
    thumbnail and displays the image.

The keybinding for `tumme-display-previous-thumbnail-original' is DEL
(which on my system is bound to the key labeled `Backspace').

As for tags in the data base, the documentation does not say how to
view just the chosen images (tumme marks only certain files and you
can display them with `C-t d'; but that should be spelled out for the
lackwitted or sleepy among us):

    (emacs)Tumme

    To tag
    image files, mark them in the dired buffer and type `C-t t'
    (`tumme-tag-files').  To mark files having a certain tag, type `C-t f'
    (`tumme-mark-tagged-files').

Also, just now, in one instance of Emacs, I tagged two files using
`C-t t' (tumme-tag-files), but then in another instance of Emacs, when
I used `C-t f' (tumme-mark-tagged-files) to show those files, only one
file was marked.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8