tumme testing

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: tumme testing
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:45:12 +0000 (UTC)

    I'm still waiting for someone else than me to test the latest
    stuff ...

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Fri, 2006 Feb 10  11:04 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.10)
started with

    emacs/src/emacs -Q -D

1. tumme-mark-tagged-files fails

    Using the following regular expression

        \(.*\.gif\|.*\.jpg\|.*\.png\)

    `C-t f' (tumme-mark-tagged-files)
    whose documentation says:

        Use regexp to mark files with matching tag.

    failed to mark any files.  The *Message* buffer said:

        0 files with matching tag marked.

2. dired-mark-files-regexp succeeds

    Using the same regular expression,

    `% m' (dired-mark-files-regexp)
    whose documentation says:

        Mark all files matching regexp for use in later commands.

    marked all the matching files.  The *Message* buffer said:

        370 matching files marked.

3. tumme-display-thumbs displays marked files

    After a long wait, `C-t d' (tumme-display-thumbs) successfully
    displayed the files marked with `% m' in a different buffer.

4. No loading in background

    No loading occurred in the background.  Hence, the long wait.

5. No data provided easily

    The new buffer did not display the images with the data provided
    by dired.  In particular, it did not display images with names,
    sizes, and dates.  (You can click on an image to obtain its name
    -- I don't know how to do this while keeping my hands on the
    keyboard -- but compared to other thumbnail programs, that
    clicking does not provide much efficiency when you are looking at
    many images; for one, you must remember which visual image goes
    with which size.)

Query:

    Is there a command in the current CVS that shows the thumbnails
    with information?

Second Query:

    What are its bindings, both mouse and keyboard?

Comment:

    Back on 5 February using iimage.el, Juri Linkov showed what can be
    done to make an Emacs thumbnail packages more useful.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8