Re: faq.texi

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 19:31:44 +0200

>> > Is there anything that prevents us from binding S-insert in
>> > isearch-mode-map?
>>
>> Yes: C-y in isearch does not run `yank', and people expect C-y and
>> S-insert to do the same thing.
>
> I was talking about binding S-insert to do the same thing as C-y.
> Is there a problem doing that?

Do you mean the same thing as C-y does in isearch mode or not?

If you mean binding S-insert to the same thing as C-y in isearch mode
(i.e. `isearch-yank-line') then I think it is a bad idea to bind a useful
key S-insert to `isearch-yank-line' just for consistency.  Moreover,
I think C-y was a bad choice for a keybinding to `isearch-yank-line'.
I hope at some time `isearch-yank-kill' in isearch will be bound to
more natural C-y, and `isearch-yank-line' to some other key, but not to M-y.
Yanking in isearch has another nuisance: there is no key to replace text
just yanked into the search string with earlier kills, i.e. what M-y
normally does.

If you mean binding S-insert to `isearch-yank-kill' this would be useful
only for novices who don't know about M-y (`isearch-yank-kill'), but not
for all other users.  Since now it is not possible to exit isearch and yank
with the same key M-y, currently S-insert is the only key that can do this,
i.e. it is more convenient to type only one key S-insert with automalically
existing isearch than typing two keys `RET C-y'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/