Re: Risky local variable mechanism

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Risky local variable mechanism
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:48:20 -0500

>    The automatic/interactive part of what I propose would be things that are
>    only set by the user, so custom could be OK for them.

> So I may have misunderstood your proposal.  You actually propose an
> alist whose elements look like (myvar nil t), meaning that the set of
> safe values of myvar is (nil t)?

Yes, something like that.  Except that it's the list of values that *the
user* has deemed safe (there'd also be a corresponding alist of values the
user has deemed undesirable).

The maintainers/authors wouldn't touch this list.  Instead they'd set
special properties on the variable's symbol, which would either be t (to say
that any value is safe) or a predicate which checks a candidate value
for safety.

        Stefan