Re: faq.texi

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:06:06 +0100

Romain Francoise <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Two questions I've been several times are:
>
>> "When I type C-s to search, I can't paste via Shift+Insert (or yank
>> via C-y). Why and what to do against it?"
>
> Er, I'm not sure what that means.  You mean paste whilst being in
> isearch?

Yes. Often if people want to search for a ReallyComplicatedAndLongWord
they are too lazy too type it in isearch, so they copy it to the
clipboard from some application, type C-s to start a search and then hit
Shift+Insert to insert it at the minibuffer prompt. This doesn't work,
which isn't really intuitive.

>> "How does query-replace across line borders work?"
>
> Hmm, yeah, the manual explains that one must use C-q C-j to match
> newlines, but not in a very straightforward way.  Or did you have
> something different in mind?

No, exactly this.

>> or on a similiar topic "How to prefix every line with text a"
>
> This one is covered already:
>
> (info "(efaq)Inserting > at the beginning of each line")
>
> Though it could be made more general.

I think it's ok. However I think we have included some more user
friendly command for this during development of Emacs 23 but I can't
remember it's name...

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough