Re: default-indicate-buffer-boundaries

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: default-indicate-buffer-boundaries
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:25:45 -0500

    > In the continuation case, we could solve the problem for the
    > end-of-buffer indicator by putting it on the right.  But that won't
    > help in the truncation case.

    The code combines indicators for other cases; can't it do so in these?

What do you mean by "combines indicators"?
Do you mean that it displays multiple fringe bitmaps,
one across the other?  Or some other kind of "combination"?

    BTW, before the release I want to change the name of the fringe
    bitmaps so they indicate the _meaning_ of the bitmaps, rather than
    being named after the default appearance... the current names are very
    confusing and inflexible if you change the appearance using
    define-fringe-bitmap.

That change would go counter to other changes that we should make in
the longer term, making a mechanism for users to specify which bitmap
to use for a given purpose.  For that to make sense, the actual names
of the bitmaps should reflect their appearance.