Re: gud.el organization and adding debuggers

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: gud.el organization and adding debuggers
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:50:23 -0500

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > Yes, GUD's support for particular debuggers should be made more modular.
 > It should also be possible to have several GUD sessions using different
 > debuggers at the same time.

Huh? Currently I have have no problem having several GUD sessions. And
if I want to debug the same program more than once simultaneously a
"rename-buffer" or "rename-uniquely" works for me.

 > Patches welcome.

You *did* read the part where I wrote:
  I'm not a GNU-Emacs wizard, ...
  again, I'm not a wizard).

However, if there seems to be a consensus on this, I'd be happy to
break gud.el into a generic file (gud.el) and several
debugger-specific files (bashdb.el, mdb.el, pydb.el, etc.). Also make
the changes I suggested in my previous email of using "define-key
gud-menu-map" and removing entries from "easy-mmode-defmap
gud-menu-map".

However when it gets to stuff like this:

 > I think a good first step would be to kill gud-def.
 > Instead of gud sub-modes using

you are out of my league. I don't really understand what you are
talking about. If you really think this is the way to go, you may be
the best candidate for doing it. ;-)