Re: "Misunderstanding of the lambda calculus"

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: "Misunderstanding of the lambda calculus"
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:38:35 -0500

    It should probably say something like "older Lisps", since it is indeed
    a fact (AFAIK) that all Lisps defined "recently" (around the time or
    EuLisp, Common Lisp, Scheme, ...) use lexical scoping by default.

Emacs Lisp was defined in 1984, which makes it newer than Common Lisp
or Scheme.

    As for efficiency: except for naive interpreters, static scoping is
    generally more rather than less efficient.

I only know how to write a naive interpreter.  Anyway, having
implemented static scoping in an interpreter for Common Lisp, I wanted
nothing like that again!