Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:33:30 +0900

2006/1/28, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>:
> Some might think that what tumme does now is very intrusive, it sets
> up a window configuration that I personally think is suitable for the
> task at hand. Whatever your reaction is, please follow:

Thanks, I could get it to work with those instructions.

I think the more complex the required window configuration, the more
annoying -- unlike traditional applications, users usually freely do
multiple things at once in emacs, and carefully crafted window setups
tend to quickly get messed up and/or interfere with the user's other
tasks.

Having one "primary window" where the cursor is and another slave
window that gets popped up is manageable enough, and the most common
model in emacs; is there a command to invoke tumme that just give you
the "thumbnails" window, without requiring the "window configuration"
and "dired" steps?

If the thumbnails could actually be inserted in the dired window that
would be coolest of all... then tumme would feel much more integrated
(at the expensive of requiring more space for lots of thumbnails).

[BTW, it seems to display lots of gratitous messages in the buffer
when generating the thumbnails, like:

  (Shell command succeeded with no output)
  (New file) [2 times]
  (Shell command succeeded with no output)
  (New file) [2 times]

Maybe it's using a high-level function where it should be using
something lower-level...?]

Thanks,

-Miles

--