Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:41:21 -0500

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> One possible solution would be to realize the mouse-highlighted version
> of each face when we realize the face itself.  In effect, that means
> calling realize_face earlier, so that when lookup_face is called
> in the signal handler, it will find what it needs.

This is impossible with the current code.  If you look at
face_at_buffer_position, you see that it generates the mouse face
attributes by merging the mouse faces specified by all the overlays
present, plus the mouse-face text property.  We obviously can't
realize every possible combination of defined mouse faces that have
been defined.

For the sake of the release, how about just moving the threatened
portion of allocate_vectorlike into the BLOCK_INPUT section that's
already present in the function?

This would also fix the other bug I pointed out in x_handle_dnd_event.

After the release, we can come back and redesign the x signal handler
to behave nicely, or fix the problems with DSYNC_INPUT and make that
the default.