Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:46:03 -0500

>> I still believe in the race-condition-with-signal-handler, because I'm
>> absolutely sure there are bugs left in that area (which is why I came up
>> with the SYNC_INPUT patch in the first place).

> Please remind me why we don't use SYNC_INPUT by default (except on the mac)?

Probably first and foremost because I never bothered too hard to try and get
the default to be changed.  Second, because it supposedly may delay the
processing of C-g since we then processs signals with a "polling" model (if
we get stuck in a loop with no QUIT and no BLOCK_INPUT we won't ever
process the C-g.  It seems to be that even without SYNC_INPUT, under X11,
a C-g is not process until we reach a QUIT, so the difference is not clear
to me).

> Because it is *bug fun* to debug memory corruption?  ;-/

No: because it's even more fun to debug *asynchronous*
memory corruption ;-)

        Stefan