Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:44:57 -0500

       I suggest a different solution: don't allow hiding a setting that is
       in state "SET".

    That would be bad, because unlike EDITED items, SET items can _start out_
    hidden when the group is first visited.

We could change that too, if it makes things clearer.

      But after quite a while, he
    searches for another item, which, by coincidence, turns out to be in
    the same group as one or more of the items he has set outside any
    Custom buffer.  The group is huge, so he does not see this.  He saves
    the one item he wants to save and inadvertently also saves the items
    he only wanted to set temporarily.

That is a good point, and it suggests that these multi-setting
commands ought to display a list of the settings they are really going
to operate on, when they ask for confirmation.

Then it would not be cause special problem if SET settings are hidden.