Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:27:06 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       - For choice values, replace the old [Value Menu] Value
         by the more common [Value v] (where v is a "pull down" icon)

   That could be good if we do the same for State.
   Do we have a suitable pull-down icon yet?

Please, unless I somehow misapplied these patches, let us not install
this.  The [Value Menu] button does apparently not get replaced by a
[Value v] button, but by "strange stuff".

We had already to do `M-x customize-group help-at-pt', to look at the
previous problem I reported.  After clicking "Show value' on
help-at-pt-display-when-idle we get:

help-at-pt-display-when-idle:  Never
This choice normally disables buffer local values. More v

The entire text between Never and v, that is value _and_ first line of
doc, are the _button text_ that replaces [Value Menu].

You can correct the situation by clicking on [More] (although it gets
rid of the v), but still.

Did I somehow misinstall these patches?  If not, let us just put off
making these unnecessary "limited" changes to Custom till after the
release.  Prior to the release, we should fix existing bugs in Custom
rather than risk introducing new ones.

Custom is much more complex than people believe.  There are always
more situations and much more complex situations to take into account
than people usually do think of.

Sincerely,

Luc.