Re: rcirc manual

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: rcirc manual
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:47:34 +0000 (UTC)

    AFAIU, @key{M-x} is wrong, since there's no key labeled "M-x".

Ah ... I think of this as pressing the Meta key and the `X' key
simultaneously.  Thus, the Texinfo Manual does talk of these
instances:

    (texinfo)key

        Use the address@hidden' command for the conventional name for a key on
        a keyboard ...

However, this terminology may be confusing.  Some people refer to a
`keychord' when they speak of C-x or M-C-f.  Perhaps the Texinfo node
should be changed to `for a key or keychord' rather than simply `for a
key'.

However, the word `key' does have an established meaning.  When I run
`describe-bindings' in this *mail* buffer, `C-x' is labeled `key' and
`Prefix Command' is labeled `binding'.

Perhaps the phrase `keychord' should be used occasionally, as in
(eintr)Note for Novices

    Sometimes a combination like this is called a keychord, since it
    is similar to the way you play a chord on a piano.

But it seems to me that most of the time, the Texinfo Manual should
follow the regular meaning of `key'.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8