Re: Inconsistency in whole buffer buttons.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in whole buffer buttons.
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:36:31 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Drew Adams wrote:
>
>    Regarding Luc's proposals for changes after the release (sorry for the
>    length) -
>
> The concrete immediate question in this thread was, should the whole
> buffer buttons ask for confirmation in single option buffers?  The
> only reason to do so would be uniformity of behavior among Custom buffers.

It is superfluous to ask for confirmation in single option buffers, so we
shouldn't do that.  I doubt this will be confusing to anybody.  OTOH, it
did confuse me the first time emacs asked me to confirm saving all options
in a multi-option buffer ... but I can live with that.

> The reason why I mentioned possible changes after the release is that
> I believe that the situation in single option buffers is so different
> from that in multi-option buffers that it would be good to make them
> _less_ alike after the release to rationalize the look and behavior of
> both.

I don't follow the logic of this -- IMO, the layout and the
functionality of the buttons should be the same in both cases --
except for trivial differences.

One such trivial difference would be to not requiring confirmation in
single option buffers.  I don't think that will confuse anybody.

If the buttons behave very differently in multi and single option
buffers, the functionality of the buttons should be fixed, rather
than trying to make the buffers less similar ...