Re: Emacs antialiasing in X

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs antialiasing in X
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:49:38 +0100

12 jan 2006 kl. 23.56 skrev David Abrahams:

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

That was the point of my posting.  The post I responded to seemed to
be from the initiator of the branch, and he seemed to have specific
plans. I'm not volunteering to lead the effort, but I will help with
the programming.

Well, the plan is to not do anything yet :-).

I also thought the plan was to eventually use cairo:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/34434/match=antialiased

I don't know about that. There are still more X platforms without cairo than with cairo, so to require cairo just to get antialiased text seems a bit much. Also, I don't know of anybody actually working on porting Emacs to cairo.

The areas in most need of work is font selection, that is not
handeled correctly.  The way Emacs faces specify fonts and how they
map to X fonts needs to be handeled in a way that is appropriate for
antialiased fonts as well.  Currently Emacs faces specify slant,
size and such and then translate to/from XLFD (the
-courier-normal-*-12-*-*- notation).  This is not appropriate for
antialiased fonts.

How so?

The font parameters Emacs has is currently directly derived from the different parts of an XLFD. Then when a font needs to be loaded, an XLFD can easily be built. But most antialiased fonts are not named by XLFD.

The calculation of the size of the frame (lines => pixels) does not
seem to be correct either, I suspect the calculation uses the wrong
font.

Have any pointers into the code?

The default font is set in realize_default_face(), xfaces.c.
The call to set_lface_from_font_name loads the font, and that function
does the height and width calculations.

People has reported various redrawing problems also.

And then there is the whole i18n problem.  Specifically, Xft wants
unicode characters, but Emacs has its own internal (Mule)
representation.  I think we must integrate XFT and Unicode before
this can be sorted out correctly.

What do you mean by "integrate XFT and Unicode?"  You just
said Xft already wants unicode characters, so I assume they're as
integrated as they're going to get.  Maybe you mean "integrate Mule
and Unicode?"

Unicode refers to the Emacs unicode branch. So it means integrate those two branches.

        Jan D.