Re: outline/allout/overlay performance (was: existing work on TODO items

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: outline/allout/overlay performance (was: existing work on TODO items)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:00:46 -0500

On 1/11/06, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > i think i've surmounted the performance problem i was seeing, by
> > better stitching together the overlays.
>
> Good news.

but maybe premature - the behaviour "came back".  i will have to
carefully implement the stitching together stuff before coming to a
conclusion about viability.

> [...]
> > these choices are hard-coded in the current `outline-flag-region', so
> > i can't use it as stands.  i could suggest a slightly modified version
> > which open-codes these choices so "derivative" outline modes can use it
> > directly while tailoring these aspects for their specific purposes.  does
> > that seem like a reasonable way to go?
>
> I don't understand why outline-flag-region should have anything to do with
> the implementation of an isearch-open-invisible(-temporary) function, so I'm
> probably not understanding you well, but improving outline-flag-region so it

the function is registered with the overlay, as a property - that's
why the current outline-flag-region sets it.  i want to make the
function it registers with the overlay parameterized - eg, a mode
local variable - to be registered if set.  outline-mode's current one
(`outline-isearch-open-invisible') will be used for outline-mode, and
allout will have its own.  other modes could, too.

> stitches overlays together sounds like a good idea.
> Maybe it could be made into a generic function, much like remove-overlays
> and moved to subr.el.

i'll take a look at remove-overlays, when i get to that point.

thanks!

ken manheimer
address@hidden