Re: savehist-mode: invalid-read-syntax "#"

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: savehist-mode: invalid-read-syntax "#"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 00:23:31 +0100

On Sun, Jan 08 2006, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>> What about the following patch?  I will install it in Emacs CVS
>> unless someone comes up with a better solution.
[ defcustom savehist-ignored-variables '(command-history) ]

> Are you sure that is a better idea than tracing the problem?

Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce the problem.  But the
problem is quite serious.  It is quite hard for ordinary users to find
out how to solve the problem so we need a fix.  Additionally, I think
this feature (not saving some variables) might be a good idea anyhow.

I have added the following to `savehist-minibuffer-hook' in my copy
and will see if it happens again:

  (when (eq minibuffer-history-variable 'command-history)
    (debug nil minibuffer-history-variable))

> I use Emacs 21, and I don't have `command-history' in
> savehist-minibuffer-history-variables.  IMHO if a variable is not a
> minibuffer history (i.e. a list of Lisp strings), it shouldn't end
> up in minibuffer-history-variable.  If this is the case in CVS
> Emacs, then the problem should be fixed rather than worked around.

I don't know if this is intended behavior in CVS Emacs.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)