Re: Executing Emacs Lisp through AppleScript on Mac OS X?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Executing Emacs Lisp through AppleScript on Mac OS X?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:14:32 +0000

On 8 Jan 2006, at 20:24, Lennart Borgman wrote:

Because the system's "open" command cannot pass arbitrary parameters either, I don't see a way to get (a running) Emacs to find a file (as opposed to opening an existing one) from external.

Does not emacsclient have a -eval parameter?

Yes, but you need to manually M-x server-start beforehand.

Given that emacs isn't setuid anything, I'm having trouble imagining a
scenario on a Mac where your concern is actually a concern. Can you
provide an example?

I run Emacs via sudo every now and then to edit system files. There's your example.
Maybe I ought to use tramp mode instead.

Executing AppleScripts is restricted to the console user and root - what about sending Apple events?

Keep in mine you can also send apple events to the terminal :)

... but Terminal will not execute those in the currently open shell, but open a new one. With UI scripting you can do pretty much all nasty things, but UI scripting is not on by default (probably for that reason).