mail-default-directory / autosave

From: David Reitter
Subject: mail-default-directory / autosave
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:19:59 +0000

I was wondering if something can be done to get rid of auto-save files stored in the user's home directory whenever a *mail* buffer is created. These auto-save files aren't deleted reliably (when the buffer is killed), unfortunately.,

`mail-default-directory' defaults to "~/". I thought about letting it default to `temporary-file-directory', but then you're obviously running into privacy issues and a file-name conflict. On Darwin, there are directories /tmp/<user-id>, which are usually used for such business, but I guess this a system-specific standard. Does it make sense to introduce a system-specific default for this variable, or is there something better one could do?