Re: Reset buttons in Customize

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Reset buttons in Customize
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:45:38 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   Nope -- the point is to *replace* the "reset to *" buttons, so there
   will be no change in the number of buttons.

How would the user make the values take effect for the current session
and/or for future sessions then.  You said:

   The user explicitly calls "Set for Current Session" or "Save for
   Future Sessions" to do what he wants, which reduces the risk of
   confusion.

What does "explicitly call" mean?  That means two new buttons and two
new items in the State menu.  Unless you mean to call the whole buffer
_functions_.  These functions operate (in an often very confusing way)
on the whole buffer and are not suitable for use with the State button.

   > I believe that many Custom users often use these buttons.  I certainly
   > do.

   It's hard to judge this, especially if you want to take into account
   the number of users who don't use Customize because it is too
   confusing.  Even in the worst case scenario, you can reset to the
   standard value and start again.

Sometimes the saved value can be very complex and hard to remember.
It might be, for instance, a regexp somebody else wrote for you.

Sincerely,

Luc.