Re: Customizing faces with `defcustom'

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Customizing faces with `defcustom'
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:36:36 -0500

    I think using one face for different parts of the mode line is not
    useful.  Users might want to highlight the buffer name and the info
    node name with different faces.

There are an unlimited range of features that users "might want to"
use, but we certainly don't want to add them all.  So that's not a
basis for making this decision.

    In the previous messages you said that `mode-line-buffer' is a good name
    for a face used only to highlight buffer names.  So let's add this face
    and also `info-mode-line-node' which by default will inherit from
    `mode-line-buffer'.

I'd prefer to add one face rather than two.

If lots of users ask for that distinction, we can oblige them later.