Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:55:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:41:33 -0500
> > From: Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden>
> >
> > Much to my chagrin, it would appear that the ancient Windows right
> > Alt/Meta key problem still exists (the right Alt key is NOT a Meta
> > modifier key as is the left one).
>
> Right Alt key does produce META for me, so it might be something
> specific to your system's setup or maybe to your locale.

I think it is related to the issue I raised under topic `wish: right alt/meta
to switch keyboard layout while pressed'.  I.e. right Alt acts as a temporary
layout switcher and so it does not look as Alt to applications.

I strongly believe Emacs must not do anything about it.  Quite the opposite:
it should properly handle Mode_switch on GNU/Linux etc. with X, so that it
disables LEIM layout while it pressed.  This way Emacs would be consistent
with the rest of the system.  If Windows lacks a way to disable this feature
and make right Alt work the same way as left Alt, it's a problem of Windows,
not of Emacs.

Paul