Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 10:54:07 +0100

On 25 Dec 2005, at 03:51, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

But I would suggest improving find-file to catch the error in switch-
    to-buffer and show the buffer in another window in that case, at
    least when called interactively.

Why do you find it so often useful to invoke Find File
while you're in a minibuffer?

Usually I have started something else which reads an argument in the minibuffer, either in error or because I'd like to look up something in another file in order to supply the right input. This applies to invoking switch-to-buffer with the same reasoning -- you'd like to look up something else.

WIthout having counted these cases, I'd say the majority of cases is erroneous invoking of the first command that gets me to the minibuffer. (Of course, I should do C-g, but that doesn't happen.) That's why I've been looking for a way to enable "sequential" instead of "recursive" minibuffers (see my recent message below).

Either method (switch-to-buffer using a different window if in minibuffer and interactive, and: sequential minibuffers) address similar situations and would be of benefit at least to the inexperienced user.

Begin forwarded message: