Re: blink-cursor-mode under ttys

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: blink-cursor-mode under ttys
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:44:48 +0200

>   > In my xterm, blink-cursor-mode doesn't work.
>   > Looking at the code I don't see any not and indeed it can be made to work
>   > by changing
>
> Please don't do this, at least not without a lot of user
> requests. Have we had any such requests?
>
> Terminals can usually blink the cursor by themselves, if the user has
> turned on blinking it won't be a good idea for emacs to blink the
> cursor.
>
> There was another discussion earlier this year where people stated
> that they have problems with the blinking cursor on X, let's not
> extend that problem to ttys too.

I agree that since xterms don't blink the cursor by default, Emacs
started in xterm should not blink the cursor too.

But this is rather a question of the default value.  Nothing prevents
from fixing it to allow blinking cursors on xterm for users who want
to turn on blinking in Emacs.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/