Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:14:00 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   I think that Customize should only write to .emacs when the user
   clicks on the "Save" button.  Maybe "Erase Customizations" should only
   reset the values in the Customize buffer, but not make them take
   effect.

In the absence of themes, "Erase Customizations" should restore the
default value.  That is not in question.  It is what it has always
done and what it is documented to do.

If themes have been loaded, then, for reasons I explained in my
explained in my previous message, trying to restore the no-theme
default would lead to non-sensical behavior in one case or the other.
However, I have the impression that the current code does try to restore
the no-theme default, even if themes are loaded.  (Although it is not
correctly implemented.)  The result is a big nuisance, even for people
who use no themes whatsoever.

Apart from being the only way to avoid bugs, making "Erase Customization"
restore the theme value is the logical thing to do anyway.  Restoring
the no-theme default is likely to clash with the other settings.  If
somebody writes a theme for say, red-green colorblind people, then
deliberate deviations, well chosen by the user, might make sense, but
blindly restoring a general default color would likely produce
conflicts with the rest of the color design.  The same for other types
of themes.

Sincerely,

Luc.