Re: GTK file selector

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: GTK file selector
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:08:41 -0500

    I may be dumb but with the current GTK file selector, I did not find
    any way to view dotfiles and dotdirectories. So, I was unable to
    open my .emacs nor to enter my .emacs.d directory.

    Also, there is no textarea where I could enter a filename manually.

I heard yesterday that the latest GTK file selector
is so limited that it is making lots of people unhappy.

I hope I get a chance to see it for myself soon
so that I can come to solid conclusions.

Someone suggested:

    If it's GTK2, then you should be able to start typing a file name and have a
    text field appear. You can use this text field to access dot files.

Does that work for you?  If so, could you explain to me what it means?