Re: Emacs FAQ for Emacs 22.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs FAQ for Emacs 22.1
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:21:26 +0200

> From: Romain Francoise <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:59:25 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> By the way, the FAQ doesn't cover Customize much: it explains what it
> is, but not really how to use it.  Perhaps we should add a node named
> "How do I customize Emacs?" explaining how to use Customize, and also
> pointing to the "How do I setup a .emacs file?" node.  WDYT?

I don't think it's a good idea.  The Emacs FAQ is not like most other
FAQs out there: it isn't supposed to be the first place people look
for any question or problem they might bump into.  The first place
they should look is in the Emacs manual, preferably through the index
search (`i') command.  And the Emacs manual already has a chapter that
describes Customize.  (It is, however, fine to have the node you
suggested that just points to the manual, IMHO.)

The FAQ should, IMO, cover minor or obscure issues not described in
the manual, places where to find extra packages, etc.  That is how it
was organized until now.