Re: Function for deleting a key binding in a sparse keymap

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Function for deleting a key binding in a sparse keymap
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:40:48 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> I am glad you appreciate it. However there was a bit more to add. I
> got some tips from Kim and made a new version. There is a question in
> this about when the keymap entry is a keymap.

This seems to be quite accurate now... but there is one thing I
don't understand...

> *) Characters that are self-inserting are translated according to
>    `translation-table-for-input'. If a character is self-inserting then
>    you are ready.

How do you know that a character is self-inserting at this stage?
You only find that out by looking it up in the keymaps, and you
haven't got to that yet at this stage (unless this somehow is
the second pass?)

May I suggest that you add an example of which part of emacs currently
uses each of these methods, e.g.

> *) Translate meta characters according to `meta-prefix-char' to a two
>    character sequence.

For example, this maps M-x into ESC x.

> FIRST-MAP) Look in `special-event-map'.

For example, this is where the delete-frame event is handled.

> *) If overriding-terminal-local-map look in this. Then go to GLOBAL.

For example, this is how the C-u prefix is handled.

> *) Look for minor mode keymaps in `emulation-mode-map-alists'.

For example, this is used by cua-mode and viper.

etc.