Re: MH-E manual update

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: MH-E manual update
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:18:55 -0500

    The biggest is that the two licenses are incompatible which is a problem
    because the docstrings in the code are cut and pasted into the manual
    and vice-versa.

That is not a legal problem, since the FSF is the copyright holder for
both.  However, the use of doc strings in the manual without extensive
rewriting would tend to make the manual less than ideal.  Doc strings
and a manual are rather different, and the text that is good for one
is not very good for the other.

    Another solution was to rewrite the GFDL so that it was compatible with
    the GPL and acceptable by Debian, but I don't think that has been done
    either.

This idea sounds nice, but it makes no sense.  The GFDL can't be made
compatible with the GPL except by eliminating it.  I hope no one ever
said that we would do this.

    Failing those two solutions, one suggestion that was proposed by
    Dave Turner <address@hidden> was to use a dual-license scheme and
    license the manual under both the GPL and GFDL.

What we want to do is release it solely under the GFDL.
That is our policy for licensing GNU manuals.
Debian should interpret its criteria in a more sensible way
and use it under the GFDL.