Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:35:24 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>         address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:24:45 -0500
>
> I don't know about "very good".  AFAIK the reason is so that you can mess up
> the .el file as badly as you want (e.g. with conflict markers when merging
> updates) without breaking things

Yes.

> While I don't claim that it's a bad reason, I'm not sure it's that much
> better than the reason we're facing which argues to use the other behavior

It's certainly better for when you update Emacs from CVS and then run
"make" to build the new version.  Currently, you at least can build
Emacs from C sources before you "make recompile" in the lisp
directory; with the logic you suggest, it might fail due to mixing old
*.elc files with new *.el files.