Re: Function for deleting a key binding in a sparse keymap

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Function for deleting a key binding in a sparse keymap
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:36:17 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

Because in this case it is a temporary minor mode that exists just during
a few keystrokes. I actually put the keymap first in
emulation-mode-map-alists to avoid any problem.  Nearly all keys except
those for using the mode are bound to a function that exits the
temporary mode.

Any reason not to use overriding-(terminal-)local-map like isearch does?

       Stefan

Me. I did not know about it. Seems like what I want to use.

I found it a bit difficult to remember this. Would not a table like the one below be helpful? Is it correct?

How to find the keymap for a given key sequence in a buffer

Go through the list below step by step. As soon as a it (see KeyLookup) is found in any keymap you are ready.

*) Look in `special-event-map'.

*) If overriding-terminal-local-map look in this. Then go to GLOBAL.

*) If overriding-local-map look in this. Then go to GLOBAL.

*) Is there a "keymap" property of the text or overlay at point?

*) Look for minor mode keymaps in `emulation-mode-map-alists'.

*) Look for minor mode keymaps in `minor-mode-map-alist'.

*) Is there a `local-map' property of the text or overlay at point?

*) Is there a "local keymap" (those are for major modes)?

GLOBAL) Look in the "global keymap".