Re: Function for deleting a key binding in a sparse keymap

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Function for deleting a key binding in a sparse keymap
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:24:58 +0100

LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why do you use emulation-mode-map-alist ?
>
> Because in this case it is a temporary minor mode that exists just
> during a few keystrokes. I actually put the keymap first in
> emulation-mode-map-alists to avoid any problem. Nearly all keys
> except those for using the mode are bound to a function that exits
> the temporary mode.

That is NOT the purpose of emulation-mode-map-alists, and there must
be other ways to accomplish what you want to do.  E.g. (not tested):

  (let (done)
   (while (not done)
     (let* ((ev (read-event))
            (cmd (lookup-key your-keymap ev)))
       (if cmd
           (call-interactively cmd)  ; or just funcall
         (setq done t)
         (clear-this-command-keys t)
         (setq unread-command-events (cons ev unread-command-events)))))