Re: TAB in Eval: prompt in minibuffer?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: TAB in Eval: prompt in minibuffer?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 00:08:03 +0100

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

   BTW, info.el dropped M-TAB in favor of S-TAB.  Unfortunately, this
   makes `Info-prev-reference' inaccessible on ttys where S-TAB is not
   available.  I think info.el, help.el and wid-edit.el should bind both
   S-TAB and M-TAB to the same commands: S-TAB for window environments,
   and M-TAB for ttys.

Could someone please look at the discussion that led to defining
S-TAB in info.el, and see what the motives were?
I do not know the reason for dropping M-TAB, but defining S-TAB to `Info-prev-reference' was made to make it easier for users. Going backwards to previous link with S-TAB is what is found in those GUI browsers I have used.

S-TAB is bound in a similar manner in help and custom buffers too.

I see no reason not to bind M-TAB too in info buffers if that is desirable. In that case I believe it should be done in help and custom buffers also.