Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:37:54 -0500

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:

> with "Custom" and "Help" being raised buttons, what else would you
> expect clicking on these buttons to do than follow links to
> documentation?

Its not clear, because the second sentence says:

  `Raised' buttons show active fields; type RET or click mouse-1 on an
  active field to invoke its action.

and I dont know what an "active field" is, and I've no idea what its
action would be.  Yes I will click it and try because it looks like a
button.  That sentence should be deleted -- it contains no useful
information.

The line:

   Invoke Custom file for information on how to save in a different
   file.

should be deleted.  Its only of interest to expert users, and they can
find it easily in the Help.

"Invoke" is something a programmer would say.  It is much better to
write:

   See Help for more information.

It would be better if 'Help' were underlined to emphasize that its a
link.  People understand links and it looks better.  However it is not a
big deal if the widget library (of which I am ignorant) prevents it
being done easily.

With the changes I'm suggesting you end up with the following preamble:

  This is a customization buffer for group Emacs.

  Editing an option value changes only the text in the buffer.  The
  State button can be used to set or save the option value.  Saving an
  option normally edits your init file.

  See Help for more information.

I think thats a significant improvement, and its easy to do.

--
Peter Whaite